Surgical Services offered by Apollo Animal Hospital
Our experienced surgeons are always on call for emergencies, but sometimes it is not a emergency and surgery is the only answer to repair, heal, and take care of certain issues that can manifest in your pet’s body.
When you bring your pet to Apollo Animal Hospital, you can expect expert analysis and professional care. There are times when pets need more than just medication, or grooming, and for that reason we have surgical staff on duty to make sure that when something drastic is needed, they get the best possible care.
Pet Blood Transfusions
- are often required for acute hemolysis (the rupture or destruction of red blood cells) or hemorrhage ( escape of blood from a ruptured blood vessel)
- are also appropriate in treatment of acute or chronic anemias
- the main risk of transfusion is acute hemolysis, but this is very rare in domesticated animals
- this is a delicate proceedure that requires special attention from experts in the hospital.
- we provide the best care possible when dealing with transfusions so that you don’t have any anxiety or concern.
Pet Dental Surgery
- pets are often neglected when it comes to dental care which results in a variety of issues with the gums and teeth
- as per the American Veterinary Dental Society, 80% of dogs and 70% of cats have oral disease by the age of 3
- symptoms of oral disease include tartar buildup, red and swollen gums, bad breath, changes in eating or chewing habits, pawing at the face and depression.
- when there is something severe, a variety of different issues could end up becoming a problem
- surgery can help fix several problems when they arise, which is why it’s imperative to bring your pet in when something is wrong with their teeth.
if left unattended the periodontal disease and the loss of teeth can be the result.
- the bateria from oral disease can cause serious kidney infections, liver disease, lung disease, and heart valve disease
Pet Ear Surgery
- prevention: Most infections can be avoided by simply cleaning pet’s ears.
- symptoms: Scratching the ear and around the ear; head shaking; loss of balance; discharge; swelling; odor; loss of balance; redness; hearing loss; rubbing the ear on carpet or sofa; crusty scabs on the inside of outer ear; and hair loss around the ear
- types of ear infections: Bacterial Ear infections, Yeast Ear infections and Fungal Ear infections. Mites can also cause infections especially in puppies
- treatment: Professional cleaning and medication, but when an infection has become seriously problematic or an injury has taken place, surgery may be required
- we can help give your pet the surgery they need to get back to hearing and maintain a sensible lifestyle.
Pet Eye Surgery
- the eyes of animals are very sensitive and are susceptible to many different diseases: cataracts, corneal ulcers, inflammation (infection), in-growing eyelids, injuries, irritation, prolapse of the third eyelid, and Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- symptoms are avoiding light, bulging eyes, keeping eyes closed, cloudy appearance, discharge, constant tears, redness, swelling, rubbing eye with paws or on carpet and furniture
- it is important to seek professional care for infections and other eye issues, because surgery is often needed to repair or fix the problem when medicationwill not work
Pet Orthopedic Surgery
- orthopedic surgery is often required for injuries and diseases of the musculoskeletal system
- types: hip, knee or elbow replacement; arthroscopic joint surgery; cruciate ligament repair; fracture surgery; ligament and tendon reconstruction; limb deformity correction
- our medical staff is trained in all aspects of Orthopedics so that your pet is not living with pain or dealing with any major injury that could hinder from them from living their lives.
Pet Soft Tissue Surgery
- your pet’s treatment will vary greatly, depending on the type of treatment and severity of the condition, every case is unique
- types: minimally invasive surgery, reproductive surgery, wound care and reconstruction, abdominal surgery, thoracic surgery, upper airway surgery, head and neck surgery, neurosurgery, and surgical oncology
- this intricate surgery can be very difficult to manage, and many pet owners can grow concerned with how this is done, but here at Apollo Animal Hospital, your pet will be in good hands.
- we have extensive training to help deal with the different maladies of tissue surgery so that the best care is administered.
Pet Spaying and Neutering
- for those that are seeking a solution to end the reproductive cycle, this option is available.
- spaying and neutering are basically surgical sterilization
- spaying of females involves the removal of the entire reproductive tract (uterus and ovaries)
- neutering of males is done by removing the testicles
both procedures are performed using strict sterile technique while the pet is under general anesthesia.
- we pay close attention to this process so that your pet is back to their loveable selves swiftly, and ensure that extra care is given to the process.